Friday, December 30, 2011

Essential Tools

I have been bad. Yesterday I did not do Cardio X. I have many reasons (excuses) why, but I'll spare you. So, today I am going to do both Shoulders and Arms and Cardio X AND Zumba abs. I am punishing myself, but who knows if I will learn my lesson.
Tomorrow is my birthday so I'm going to admit right now that I'll be breaking my diet a lot. I know for sure my husband will be taking me to Red Lobster and will most likely buy an ice cream cake. Tonight we might go out to the bars depending on if my best friend is going to come to town. I hate having my birthday on New Years Eve! It was only awesome last year, on my 21st bday. Living in a college town makes it so much worse- you're lucky if you can get a drink every half an hour! Sorry.. ranting.

Back to what I'm supposed to talk about.
So this is the protein I use. The ones on the left are from Vitamin World. They're chocolate and vanilla flavored. Top right is Gold Standard in Cappuccino flavor- not the tastiest. The last one is Cyto Sport in vanilla, and it's my favorite.

I do not like protein drinks by themselves. I really hate the texture if they are not properly mixed. One thing I have learned to help get the clumps out is to make the protein drink before your workout and put it in the fridge. By the time you're done the chunks have mostly deteriorated. Or just make a smoothie, like I do.

I want to address the protein drinks really quickly because I feel that many women have the wrong idea. Protein shakes will not make you bulky. Don't be afraid to buy some! I use my protein shakes as 1) a low calorie (and meatless) way to get in 25g of protein, and 2) as a recovery drink. You would not believe how much difference you will feel if you take one after your workout. You need to drink it immediately after your workout (within 30 minutes) and it will prevent soreness. Not all soreness, but it makes a dramatic difference. Also- do not think that those pre-made protein shakes you can get at drugstores is the same thing. Most of those shakes have only 9gs of protein and much, much more calories and sugar. They are not the same thing as protein powder!

I said that I make smoothies instead of drinking the protein plain. It really does not take long at all. Maybe 4 minutes and you have a perfectly blended drink, no clumps at all! Usually I mix vanilla with a cup of frozen (microwave it a little) fruit and ice. I also always use milk, not water. Another shake I love is half a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter, or sometimes I don't even add the banana. Here are my tools in the kitchen:
I would not trade my Oster blender for anything in the world! I love it so much and it makes smoothies effortless. The adorable tea pot is from Kohls, and it is microwavable. It helps me make my oatmeal and miso soup quickly because it holds the perfect amount. Miso is extremely good for you, and it is only 35 calories! You can make your own, but I prefer to get this instant Miso soup from Walmart. I take out the seaweed though.. not a fan. I have mentioned before that I hate eating meat, but I have to add chicken to my diet in order to get enough protein in. The microwavable (hey, I'm a college student!) Tyson chicken is awesome. It has a grilled flavor to it and it only takes 2 minutes to make. I usually make one breast and cut it up into little pieces and eat it with a side of veggies. If you're concerned about sodium content you might want to look at different options, but I myself do not care.

My workout equipment is really basic. If you're just starting out with P90X you do not need as many different weights as I have. Some of these are my husbands- I could never lift 25lb dumbbells!

I mostly use the 8lb dumbbells, but I recommend starting out with the 5lb and 2lb. I use the perfect push-up thingies because it is easier on my wrists. I do not use the blue band very often, it came with the orange one. I use the orange one to do the pull-up alternatives. The yoga mat was from Target and is used almost every day! Lastly, my VS water bottle gets emptied during each workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment