Saturday, December 31, 2011

Photography & Other Stressors

Well I'm officially 22! We went out to the bars and I probably had about 2,000 liquid calories. Zumba today!

Since most of my followers are fellow photographers, I kind of wanted to talk about how photography figures into my life. I started my own business when I was 20, not exactly by choice. I had been doing photography as a hobby and built up a reputation. I started getting a little too many request, to the point where I either stop charging people, or get in trouble with the government. Luckily, my husband's cousin is a financial consultant, so he did most of the legal paper work and is now my tax accountant. I'm still in college, but at this point I am only going for fun. I never plan to use my degrees because they're in American Indian Studies and Anthropology- far from my career aspirations. I never planned on doing photography as a profession, it just sort of fell in my lap. I think I might be making it sound too easy... I worked hard to get the rep I have- shadowing other photographers, doing a ton of independent research, and many, many free shoots. I'm hired based on my talent not my prices. It feels so good to hear someone say they chose me because they love my work!

The bad side of business- I have invested well over $15,000 into photography in the last two years. You don't just start a business with one lens and so-so equipment. I look back on my photography from 4 years ago and I think, wow.. what was I doing? I have spent so much money on computers, software, equipment, a studio, and I have made way too many bad purchases from trial and error.
This is some of my camera equipment (taken from my phone) that I use on a regular basis. I have much, much more in storage. One mistake I made in my first year of business is renting a studio. I spent $4k to rent it, and I only used it maybe 6 times in the entire year. This is just my experience, but hardly anyone wants indoor photos. I hate shooting in the studio as well- it gets entirely too boring and repetitive.

So how does photography stress me out? Since I started college in the first place, I decided I might as well finish it. Having a business and going to school full time is incredibly hard. I really pick and choose my clients, and I do not invest in marketing because I honestly do not want too much business. I graduate this May, so I need to start thinking about how to advertise. I live in a very competitive city, and photographers here do not speak to each other. I'm trying to find my niche, and I think I've done a pretty good job already. As much as I love photography, I wish I hadn't become an entrepreneur until after college. Another factor that stresses me out is that I've kind of lost a sense of artistic freedom. I used to wander around taking photos of things that inspire me, or set up a shoot for a specific purpose. I love capturing moments and making people look good, but sometimes I feel too commercial. This year I'm making it my goal to do more photography for myself. I'm also slowly getting into videography, and I'd love to express myself through that medium as well.

Other Goals and Bad habits
My husband, Nick, and I are techies. We NEED to have every little new gadget that comes out. We have spent a humongous amount over the years on tvs, phones, computers, cameras, cars, spa items, game consoles, and anything else you can think of. Maybe it's just our age (we're both 22) that makes us want, want, want. This habit has to stop. We have 4!!! computers for only two people. That's ridiculous. We get the newest thing and the other stuff that was sooo last year gets put in storage. It's really not worth it.

I would love to meditate daily. I started to, and it was wonderful, but I quickly lost motivation telling myself I don't have time to sit for 15 minutes.

Tanning- I'm on the fence about this one. I love tanning, it makes me happy. We do have a tanning bed that Nick bought me as a wedding present. In the winter months tanning prevents seasonal depression. Plus, I look so much better with a tan. However, everyone knows the dangers involved and I'm just not that concerned about it. I'm Native and no one in my family has ever had skin cancer. I don't want Nick to tan (I'm pretty sure he's happy about that) because he's practically albino. People in his family get skin cancer. So...I know it's a risk, but do I care enough to stop and sell my bed?

The biggest goal for me this year besides weight loss is to limit my computer and tv time. I spend way too much time on the internet, for no reason at all. I have too many tv shows that I "need" to watch. I'd like to use the time I spend zoning out for more productive things. Maybe I'll start with cutting a half hour out, and work my way up.

Lastly, I'd like to stop verbally complaining. I really think this is specific to my generation. Everyone is open about their opinions and gripes. I'd like to keep my thoughts to myself for now on and try to be more positive. I can be a little snarky at times, if you couldn't tell.

Oh, one more last one. I'd like to visit and help our parents out more. All of our parents have been hit extremely hard by the economy shift, and two out of the three sets are in very poor health. They need us, our support, to help them get through it. I'm not a family oriented person- and I need to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment